Monday, February 18, 2013

Monday February 18, 2013

Workout: P90x chest/back
Weight: 129.4

I'm back to weighing myself everyday because the amount of water I'm retaining is driving me crazy.  My weight fluctuates sometimes 4lbs over night.  So I'm weighing and actually graphing it this time to watch for an overall trend.

I've been keeping up with my swimming 2-3x/week and some sort of resistance training 3x/week.  Since being entirely gluten free, I've gone back to p90x and have done well with it - in terms of the pain issues I was having in my shoulder and elbow.  My swimming has improved a lot.  I feel much more comfortable with the front crawl and I'm more fluid and faster with it.  Previous to last week, I was good if I did 1000yds in 35 minutes.  I'm now doing 1000yds alternating breast 100yds & crawl 100yds in 30 minutes.

I've been almost completely gluten free now for a couple of weeks and I can tell.  I have been sleeping much better and deeper at night, my aches are minimal and usually associated with the difficulty of my resistance workouts... therefore they are more muscle aches than joint aches.  Last Monday was the first time I did p90x chest/back after a few weeks off from doing any kind of pushups, and I was SORE until at least Thursday.  But my shoulder and elbow have calmed down a lot - my shoulder is still weak and still hurts a lot while doing pushups, but its not as debilitating.

However.

Last night we took the girls to Dairy Queen and had ice cream.  I was not thinking.  I have been so good with being gluten free - I've had GF pizza from aurelios, I've had GF pizza from Trader Joe's (better and cheaper than aurelios), I've been very careful and I've felt the difference.  But I didn't think about it and the cone of my ice cream cone has resulted in a horrible night and day.  Last night I woke up at 2:30 and if I slept at all between then and 6:00 when I finally got out of bed, it was very minimal or very restless because I felt like I was awake the entire time.  Today, my shoulder and elbow are on fire again after my workout, my hips are terrible and my fingers are terrible.  It is amazing to me how that little bit makes such a huge difference.

I am glad that it happened, though, because we are going on vacation next week and I've already been contemplating just giving in and dealing with the consequences of eating gluten while we're there.  But this reminder is setting my mind straight.  I will continue to be as careful as possible while there, because this is not worth it.

No comments: