Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Wednesday February 6, 2013

Catch up

Last week, I swam on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.  I did not workout on the other days as I was really trying to focus on eliminating gluten from my diet and sleeping.  The last time I had gluten was Sunday January 27th and it has taken me this long to start sleeping better and feeling better.  I could tell I was beginning to sleep better by the weekend, but last week I was still very achy in my neck, hands, fingers and hips.  

Last night I slept really, really well - deep, restfully, only woken up briefly by the dog.  Prior to the last 2 nights, my sleep was not that way - I felt like most of the night I was in that half sleep/half awake feeling.  I didn't feel rested at all.  I was waking up randomly every night once or twice and having a hard time getting back to sleep.

Over the last 2-3 days I've noticed my neck pain (arthritis) is gone.  My fingers do not hurt, my hips do not hurt, my wrists do not hurt.  My elbow and shoulder pain are less.

If this blood test does not show a sensitivity to gluten, I will be shocked.  Shocked, I tell you.  My food journal and observations seem pretty clear.

At the end of last week I pretty much felt sorry for myself and mourned the loss of gluten. No more pizza.  No more granola (actually, Jan 27th wasn't my last gluten... I mistakenly had some in granola on Wed and then there must have been some in the salad dressing I had at the Karners on Saturday).  Its going to be hard to eat out at a restaurant, etc.  But based on the difference I feel in my body, I'm willing to give it up.

Over the weekend I decided I needed to get serious about actually TRYING to lose these 5-7 pounds that I gained over the summer (my beer weight).  So I started counting calories again on Monday and have hit the workouts hard.  I'm staying below 1500 cal/day and working out everyday.

Monday - deck of cards + 2 miles on the treadmill
tricep dips, burpees, weighted squats, super skaters (ran a mile before & after)
Tuesday - 1050 yds swimming (35:00): 500 breast, 500 crawl, 50 back
Today - deck of cards + 2 miles
tricep dips, weighted sumo squats, lunges and twisted mountain climbers

I've gotten better at the swimming.  Prior to saturday I was consistently swimming 1000 yds in 35ish minutes.  Saturday I swam 1000yds in 30 minutes so I did an extra 200 yds.  I love it now and really look forward to it.  Its great to see progress, too.

Starting weight (Monday February 4th): 131.2

Going to the Dominican Republic on February 23rd - hoping to be a lot closer to 125 by then!

No comments: