Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Wednesday April 20, 2011

I have not worked out at all this week.  I woke up with a sore throat last Friday and went to the doctor for it on Monday - strep.  Totally weird though... last time I had strep it felt like I had been hit by a truck.  My body hurt, my stomach hurt, I had razors in my throat.  This time - only the razors, otherwise I felt totally fine.  Started antibiotics on Monday afternoon and as of yesterday afternoon there was only slight throat pain left.  


Haven't worked out at all and I haven't eaten much in the last couple of days.  Today should be better.


Really trying to evaluate things over here.  I'm perplexed by how tired Dave and I are all the time.  He has cut down his running mileage and has decided not to run the RBR - his body was not dealing well with the running and he wants to focus more on losing weight because he's been snoring lately.  The amount of fatigue that we've both experienced is totally different than the kind of fatigue we had when we were training for Indy last year.  At that time, we were both so physically tired at the end of the night and would go to bed at 9:15... but it was the good, worked hard, my body is TIRED kind of tired.  Definitely attributed to the running/training.


It is different now.  We shouldn't be feeling like this - we're both in fantastic shape.  Last night at 8:30 I wanted to go to bed.  I had slept 8 hours the night before.  I hadn't worked out.  Not sure what is going on - could be due to being sick, but my body has just felt "off" for a while now... hence dropping out of the race and no longer running.  I'm going to keep paying attention.  


I'm also thinking about getting back into running.  Easter is approaching, so my 6 weeks is up.  I wasn't really planning to get back into it, however, my back is killing me (herniated L4 and L5) and I'm sleeping like crap all the time.  I know that when I'm running, my back doesn't hurt.  I also sleep much better.  I feel conflicted, though, because I don't know how to get back into it without getting obsessed with pace & routes & time etc.  I don't know how to just go out and enjoy myself and not care about those things.  I think I probably need to just go out and not pay attention to the time it takes to run.  I still need new shoes, which really should wait until May so it will be a couple of weeks yet.  But I think I need to get back to it so I can sleep and not have back pain.  If I think about it, those used to be my biggest motivating factors and I let all the rest get in the way.  Stupid race training got the best of me!  Perhaps my personality is not suited for racing - too competitive with myself.  Too self-motivated.  Too self-disciplined.  


I'm going to get back to Bob Harper and his plan to kill me, get some new shoes and get back to it.  My back needs it. 

No comments: