Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Wednesday August 29, 2012

Workout: Run 3.17 miles
Weight: ?
One Year Ago

Ran this morning after getting Nora on the bus.  I kind of dig this new schedule :)  I get to run/workout from 7-8 now, rather than getting up at horrible times in the morning.  Its nice!

Run was okay.  I ran the first full mile without taking any breaks.  My left lower back was clenching up pretty badly, but I gutted through it.  I stretched at the water fountain... which usually helps make the second half of the run pain-free.  But not today.  Holy moly, my left lower back and left hip and outer thigh were burning.  I didn't have a very successful second half run.  I walked several times due to pain.  I'm wondering if I need new shoes?  I am proud of myself, though, for getting out there and for doing the first full mile (and a little more) without stopping to walk.  At this point in my out-of-shapeness, THAT is success.

While on vacation, Dave and I talked about how we're out of shape and have gained a little weight and the fact that we really need different motivation to be healthy.  Truly, I just don't want to be "that person" who is always gaining and losing the same 7 pounds.  And I have been for the last couple of years.  I just want to be healthy and live a healthy life - not just so I can weigh 125 lbs but for other reasons.  We listed our reasons and I want to revisit mine periodically.  Here they are:

I eat healthy, exercise and drink water because:
* I sleep better

* my skin is better
* i don't feel bloated and big
* my body will heal better and faster if I get sick or injured
* i don't want to be my parents
* i want to be active and not limited
* i don't want to take medications
* i feel more self-confident
* my back doesn't hurt

My mom has been very sick for the last year & a half.  She spent a good portion of the summer in the hospital this year.  I truly believe that a lot of it has to do with how poorly she eats and takes care of herself.  At least the extent to which she healed / is healing, I believe.  I don't want to be like that - I don't want the issues to begin with and I don't want to have the problems recovering that she has had.  I want to live a healthy life.

One thing that we identified that hinders us - or creates issues for us - is that we go to is parents house once a week or so - sometimes more often.  And they eat garbage all the time - never anything healthy.  So we have to come up with a plan to bring food with us, which, frankly, is a very overwhelming thought to me.  But we're going to have to do it.  

Hopefully these couple of things will be motivation for us to get back on track to living a healthy lifestyle and getting back into shape.  

No comments: