Monday, October 31, 2011

Monday October 31, 2011

Workout: Run 3 miles (30:57)


Today begins the p90x recovery week.  I was supposed to do Yoga this morning, but I really didn't feel like getting out of bed that early, so I opted to run instead.  I'm not sure if that is Tony Horton/p90x approved strategy for recovery, but too bad. 


Running was horrible.  Actually I felt okay, but my heartrate was sky-high.  After 1 mile my heart rate was 186.  Obviously, I'm not getting enough cardio training in while doing the p90x, because that is way too high.  It is not even slightly maintainable for very long.  And I wasn't running very fast - 10:00/mile.  I stopped to walk for 1:30/2:00 a couple of times, and my heartrate would come down, but it would go right back up there when I ran for longer than a minute.  Its pretty discouraging, because I want to run and I enjoy running, but the high heartrate makes it nearly impossible to use running as a once in a while cardio workout... I feel like I have to give it up altogether, or I have to run several times a week consistently.  Not sure if want to do either of those any more.  Right now I'm not ready to train for a race, but was thinking of training for one after the New Year... however, with that high of heart rate problems, it makes me dread doing it, because it hurts to be working at that intensity for too long.


So maybe I'm going to have to consider adding some running into my p90x.  Like maybe doing a second workout a couple of times a week.  I'll have to think that through, because I don't know if I want to go that route.  I guess I need to really sit down and consider my goals and whether 2x/daily workouts would be needed.  I don't know... I'm just really bothered by how difficult it is for me to run and why it seems so effortless for anyone else - like most people can take time off for a while and then just go out there and run 3-4 miles, no problem.  I think Dave could do that - he hasn't run consistently for several months, but I'm pretty sure that if he wanted to he could go out and run 3 miles without a problem.  I really hate that it is so incredibly difficult for me... and that if I take any kind of break, then it is so hard and painful to get back.


For the last several days, I've thought about going out for a run down my 5 mile route.  The weather has been nice, the route is really pretty at this time of year, I remember loving that run.  But I can't just pick it up so easily and that bugs the crap out of me.


My weight was the same on Saturday - no gain/loss.  I guess thats fine, but I do think that I was retaining some water because my hands are falling asleep a lot lately.  So hopefully, I will make up for it this week and see a loss.

No comments: