Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Day 10 - Wednesday July 24, 2013

I had intended to update this more frequently so I could go back and read it when I needed ideas or a refresher.  Hopefully I'll remember to do so more frequently from this point forward.

I slept so much better last week.  Most nights I woke up around 2:30 to go to the bathroom, took 5mg of Melatonin and went right back to bed and slept until my alarm.  There was even one night that I slept through the entire night without waking.  It was heavenly.

We ate really well on this plan last week and even made it through a weekend away from home at my parents house. It took a lot of planning and a trip to the grocery store, but we were able to stay on plan all weekend.

Then I made the mistake of getting a bottle of wine for dinner on Monday night.  I had 1 1/2 glasses.  I was happy - I missed wine.  And I've spent the last 2 nights waking up and not falling back to sleep again.

I was feeling so good and so positive and hopeful... and now I'm upset and discouraged again.  Disrupted sleep really wreaks havoc on me.  

I spoke with my health coach yesterday morning and told her about it.  After asking a few questions, she decided that I have a candida issue... which is interesting because I thought i had a candida issue a few years ago after taking a round of antibiotics and feeling unreasonably tired all the time.  At that time I cut out all foods that had yeast or sugar and felt better within 2 weeks.  Now I need to cut out sugar entirely (alcohol, dates, dried fruit) and add a probiotic to try to crowd out the yeast.  So I got that and started it yesterday.

An example of my daily meals:

Breakfast: I make a big breakfast salad: saute some onions, peppers, tomatoes, mushrooms in butter and put them on a huge plate full of organic mixed greens.  Add 2 fried organic, free range eggs & 1/4 avocado (if I have one).  Drink a tall 20oz glass of lemon water & take all of my supplements.


Mid-morning: cup of green tea

Lunch: Hemp protein smoothie made with water, banana & berries.  Bowl of some sort of vegetables - usually a cucumber, tomato, onion, pepper salad mixture (add avocado if I have some).

Afternoon snack (if I remember): strawberry infused water with basil & ACV, small bowl of berries.

Dinner: chicken saugsages, chicken tacos, hamburgers, pork, etc.  This has been my biggest challenge because we didn't normally eat a lot of meat for dinners... but we're figuring it out.  Served with vegetables - grilled or a salad.

Before bed: cup of herbal honey vanilla chamomile tea, sometimes with 2 pieces of dried mango.

I'm enjoying the food, a lot.  It hasn't been as expensive as I anticipated.  Although the supplements could get that way if I have to continue taking them or keep adding to them. 

I have not worked out in probably 3 weeks because of my sleeping issues - that is incredibly bothersome to me, but that issue will get fixed in time, too.  I need to do this one day at a time and have confidence that my health coach knows what she knows and can help me.   

No comments: