Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Tuesday December 28, 2010

Workout: P90x YogaX
Time: 1:15
Weight: 128.8


What I learned from p90x yogaX:
* I have little to 0 flexibility

* I have stomach rolls, which I never had before
* yoga is hard
* perhaps doing advanced yoga for the first time is not the best move
* I'm much weaker than I've ever been


Holy moly was it hard.  I wanted to quit at about 20 minutes, but pushed myself to keep going since I had gotten up early to do it.  I was able to do most of the poses and keep up with most of it, but I did not look good and I did not have good form.  My hamstrings are so inflexible, I'm surprised I can bend over at the waist.  Hopefully with continued practice, it will get better.


The guys is ultra annoying though.  I couldn't focus on my breathing because I had no idea what I was doing.  A second time through it should help with that.  


What I did like about this yoga dvd, was that the guy (Tony someone) was very good at telling the viewer what good form would look like.  Where to move your body and what to do to try to find good form.  I have found that with other yoga videos, the person assumes you know what you're doing and doesn't tell you what good form looks like.  He also did a good job of explaining where to ground your body - like at one point saying to pretend both feet were planted - one on the ground and one on the wall.  Instead of leaving your foot just dangling in the air, you're acting like you're pushing a wall.  I know that your grounding is an important part of yoga, so this was helpful and a good reminder for me.  


All in all I liked it a lot, but my hip flexors are killing me.  I'm excited about this because it is another challenge and another activity in which I can measure my improvement...  and another thing that I'm excited about doing (rather than going through the motions in my cross training).  I'm going to have to figure out how and when to fit this in to my weekly workouts.



No comments: