Thursday, March 6, 2008

March 6, 2008

Workout: treadmill - interval run
Time: 31:30
distance: 2.75 miles
speeds: 4.0/5.2/5.7/6.2/6.7

This is a rough run for me. The 2 minutes of walking is not enough recovery time before I get back into killing myself for 4 minutes. I enjoy it, although I find I watch the clock a whole lot more because I need to change speeds every minute. I also like the fact that it is only 30 minutes vs. 45 minutes.

I'm not sure where I stand on the cardio issue...
* all you need is 30 minutes a day to be healthy
* at least 5 hours a week = no problems maintaining your metabolism

Since my weight training is so intense and I do squats in between each set, it is a mild cardio workout, too. I don't think I'm ready to do both in one day again. So I won't. Instead I will continue to lift heavy on my weight days and workout hard on my cardio days.

Eating was good yesterday. I've been able to add a lot more fruit into my day - fruit is easy. Vegetables are a little tougher, but I'm being conscious and intentional about it and that is the first step. We can more and more later.

I made a taco/pasta/salad last night. Basically I made taco meat, made some whole grain flax seed pasta and threw it on the table with some romaine lettuce mix, some cheese and salsa. Everyone made their own meal. The girls LOVED it. They ate the lettuce like crazy. If I had ever for even a second thought that they would eat lettuce, I would have been serving it to them a whole lot sooner. Crazy! That meal will definitely be a staple in our house. Dave and I devoured it, too. I made sure I had a lot of lettuce so that my plate was full, but not full of pasta or meat. Yum.