Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Goal: 115 by October 10

Workout: Walk - 36:00
Weight: 128.0

God sure surprised me this morning when I woke up. It has been rainy and humid and crummy around here for several days. Intermitent periods of sun, but nothing promising and always clouds in the sky looming and threatening the next burst. This morning, though, I woke up and saw sun! And bright blue skies. And wispy clouds! And it wasn't humid and hot at 6am. It was awesome and I enjoyed my walk and I enjoyed God's creativity and majesty as I walked.

I'm finding that if I read my devotions before I go for my walk I have a different experience. I have to get up a little earlier to do so, but it is well worth it. I have something to think about and meditate on while I'm walking or at the very least it has tunneled my focus a bit to thinking and praying rather than thinking about nothing.

I'm enjoying this form of exercise. In the past I found walking to be a waste of time - I could get more calories burned in a 1/2 hour of running. But I don't run outside. I've also experienced (in the past) some stress and anxiety about being too far from home while on foot. I know its weird and its very hard to explain, but it definitely existed. I'm enjoying this now, but am fully aware that when the weather is too bad it will be back to running on the treadmill (I hate walking on the treadmill as much as I hate running outside). This is also a new mindset in believing that I'm doing as much good for my heart and body with walking as I would be with running. I still have doubts, but for right now it is better for my soul.