Monday, March 22, 2010

Monday March 22, 2010

Yesterday was our first day of skiing. Wow. I love skiing so much. I haven't skied since we went to Colorado in 2000 - Keystone, Breckinridge and Vale. It is amazing. I feel like I am almost continuously pushing my body to and beyond its limits. And I'm enjoying it at the same time.

We spent 9am - 2:45pm out on the slopes. We took an hour break for lunch. That would be almost 5 hours of skiing. We were exhausted! We woke up at 5:30 yesterday morning because we were too excited to go to sleep, so that added to it.

We spent most of the day on the blue runs, but did do a couple of blacks. We also attempted a mogul run, which kicked all of our butts (Mark was snowboarding with us). Mark bailed before we did - took his board off entirely and walked down the mountain. Cornbread and I bailed halfway through and tried to cut through the trees to another run - and then that run was also moguls... so we cut through some more trees to the next run and took that down. However, that next set of trees was quite wide, not at all groomed or skied on and very steep. It was an adventure and I was more scared in there, than I was on the mogul run. The first mogul run sucked more, too, because it was right underneath the lift and the people on the lift would laugh when we wiped out - which was often. So today - no moguls:)

After lunch we could tell that we were all a little too tired. I don't think any of us felt completely comfortable on the same runs that we had been doing all morning. So we went down to the bottom part of the mountain and skiied the greens for the rest of the afternoon. It was fine - they are slow and busy, but it was what we needed.

Shortly before lunch I dropped my pole while going up the lift. Cornbread said he would go get it for me. I think Mark & I waited for him at the bottom for 30-45 minutes. He said the area where the pole was (not on a run) was incredibly steep. He had taken his skis off and sat down and slid down to the pole. On his way up, he would climb from one tree to the next, take a break, drink some water, and then go to the next tree. He wasn't sure he was going to make it. Took a lot out of him. What a loving husband:)

After we got back to the room we didn't want to move. Literally. And I could not stop eating. We went to the hot tub, came back and showered and then went to dinner. Cornbread made cookies and got me some ice cream and we tried to watch a movie, but I'm not sure either of us saw more than about 10 minutes. We finally gave up and went to bed at 10. I slept hard last night and feel good this morning - sore everywhere, but good.

Cornbread has meetings this morning so I'm going to work and then we'll head back out after lunch for the afternoon. I am so blessed!

No comments: