Sunday, November 28, 2010

Sunday November 28, 2010

Just finished reading my latest issue of Runner's World magazine (which is the only magazine that I read from cover to cover - never would have thought that would be the case a few years ago).  I read a few articles about some elite runners and their experiences running a marathon.  These are people that are running marathons in sub 3 hour times - amazing runners, fast runners.  Yet they struggle.  They get to a point where they feel like they can't move their legs forward.  


Got me thinking... what is the difference between them and me - I mean, other than the speed?  The difference is mental.  They are mentally tough.  They get through it through sheer will and determination.  It isn't their garmin watches telling them their pace that makes the difference, it is their mental drive to complete the race and get a PR.


I don't have that.  At least not right now.  I haven't yet completed a 5k without stopping to walk (which is ridiculous because I've completed 2 half marathons without walking at all).  I've always had a mental dificiency when it comes to running.  I've always battled this aspect of running.  I love running (now) and I've gotten so much better at it, but I have always, always battled the mental part of it and running through the block that inevitably comes.


So I want to focus on this over the coming year.  I'm not quite sure how, but I need to.


In addition, I need to focus on nutrition and fuel.  I am not fueling my body well at all.  There are days when I'm certain I'm probably not eating enough calories.  And then there are days when I'm eating way too many.  Either way, it is not intentional or thought out.  I need to do some reading on this.


All in all, I have to remember that this is a hobby and a source of enjoyment, self-competition, and accomplishment for me.  I will never be a person who finishes in the top of the age group.  I won't ever run a whole lot faster than I am right now.  I'm not going to be a competitive runner in these races - it needs to be about setting and achieving goals.  And most of the time those goals are not time goals for me.  The half marathon goals were not time goals, they were finish-without-walking goals.  I need to do that in the 5k, too.


So I will finish out my 60 miles for the month between today, tomorrow & Tuesday and then take a running break until December 15th.  At that time I'll start training for the 5/3 River Bank Run and will do so with some new mental goals.  I'm also going to read Run Less, Run Faster and incorporate that into my training.  I think taking some time off will allow me  the opportunity to plan before beginning.

1 comment:

Amy said...

I feel the same way about Runners World--only magazine I will read cover to cover too.

I think running is so much more mental than physical. Which is the number one reason I decided to run--for the mental boost. It has done amazing things for the anxiety and depression I used to struggle with.

And don't beat yourself up about the 5k. I've had some bad 5ks too.