Friday, November 26, 2010

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Workout: 5k race
Time: 29:22
Pace: 9:28


I suck.  Thats really all that I can say about this race.  I really suck.


To be honest, I wasn't geared up for this race very well.  I think I was a little overconfident - the whole "its only 3 miles" thing - so I didn't really prepare myself mentally at all.  I should have thought about it a little more.


I started out well, but I have to say it was possibly the longest 3 miles I've ever run.  I didn't think it would ever end.  My right calf hurt for the first 2+ miles.  It wasn't sore or burning... it felt solid, like concrete.  And the hills on the course were not helping that feeling.  I stopped to walk at some point to try to get my calf shaken out.  And I felt lame... I'm the idiot who has been running long distances for the last year or two, but can't get through a 5k without walking? Bugger.


So after I stopped to shake it out a bit, it released and I was starting to settle in.  And then my right foot fell asleep.  Clearly, I am dehydrated and have circulation issues:)  So right around mile 3 I had to stop to walk again to stomp my foot a few times to wake it up.  Idiot.  I was so pissed and I am still incredibly embarrassed.


I never would have said this two years ago, but I think I'm best and most comfortable at mid distances - 4-7 miles.  The first 2 or 3 always are torturous, but then I can finally settle in and take on the rest somewhat comfortably.  3 miles is a killer for me - even when I'm tapering.


I also recognize the following (but am trying not to make excuses): We were up at 4:30 because the clock in my parents bedroom was not changed at the time change; I have had a difficult time running for the past 3 weeks - not much different than this race, and I just suck.


I'm going to finish out my 60 miles for the month and then try to figure out how to take a break without losing everything I've gained in the last few months.  My feet, my knees and my ankles need me to take a break and need me to get new shoes.  I am tired.  I just need to be motivated to do other workouts in the off time.  I'm also going to read Run less, Run Faster, which Jason lent me, and try to figure out a training plan for the 5/3 River Bank Run.


On a happier note about yesterday...  Nora & Georgia both ran in the Kids Turkey Trot 1k and were adorable.  They were cold and tired and grumpy, but I'm so glad they came to watch me and then had fun doing their own race.  Nora had been so excited to do it since I told her about it.  She ran the entire thing and beat the Turkey.  I was so proud of her!  And Georgia was quite possibly the cutest racer in the history of racers coming down the final stretch holding onto Dave's hand and running with a giant smile on her face.  They were adorable.


And then we all got to go to Jay's house and hang out with his wonderful family.  Holy crap we enjoy them and have such a good time with them.  On the way home we were talking about how much we enjoy spending time with the Tieri family... while it is no shocker that I enjoy it - I've always loved hanging with Jay - its remarkable to me how MUCH Dave enjoys them when he hardly knows them.  I asked him why... his response: "They are really GOOD people and I feel 100% comfortable with them".  I might suck at running, but I've gotten a few good friends out of it and that rocks!

No comments: