Saturday, February 13, 2010

Saturday February 13, 2010

Weight: 124.6
Workout: 5.5 miles

This week's long run... 5.5 miles. As I was approaching mile 5 I thought about the fact that I'm going to have to run 13. Five miles was very difficult this morning. How in the world will I do 13? For that matter - how did I do 10 less than a year ago with no problems at all? What a difference taking some significant time off makes in endurance and fitness. Ugh. Hopefully I recover some of that before the race in May:)

I reminded myself, though, that it is one day on the training calendar at a time. I don't have to run 13 miles right now or even tomorrow. TODAY I have to run 5.5 miles and then I'm done. And I can do it.

The run went well. Heart rate was up near 180 for most of the time. I hope to see that decrease over time. It simply is too tough to run at that high of a heart rate. I'm not pushing myself too hard - it would be this high at a slower pace, too. Who am I kidding? I always push myself too hard. However, the heartrate thing is always an issue regardless of my pace.

Pace was between 5.6 - 5.8 miles per hour. I ran 5.5 miles in 57:45, which works out to a 10:30 mile. Not too bad, but I'd like to get that closer to 10:00 miles. When I was running outside last year I was running 10:20 miles and 10:00 miles on the treadmill. I'd like to be back there. It will come in time. I stopped twice to catch my breath - at 2.5 miles and 3.5 miles. I consider that a successful run. Much better than last Saturday when I couldn't get through one song without stopping to rest (for all 12 songs that I ran through).

Today I'm going to focus on drinking lots of water and getting the filter changed in the humidifier. I know I'm retaining water - when I wake up in the morning I can't move my wedding ring, which is a clear indication for me. In addition, I drank 16 oz of water right before I went to bed last night and hardly peed when I woke up this morning. Something needs to be done about my hydration level today. I'm going to work on that.