Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Workout: supposed to be 5 1/2 miles, was actually 3 miles
Weight: 125.2


I felt so good going into my workout this morning. My stomach problems feel like they're getting better (have been taking shots of apple cider vinegar 3x/day to help with it rather than taking the meds), my legs were feeling great, my mental attitude was where it needed to be. I was more than ready to do the 5 1/2 on the treadmill and was confident that I'd be able to run the entire thing again without taking any breaks. I was good.

And the run started off great. I got into a pretty easy rhythm with my music, I was feeling good. My heart rate was a little higher than I'd like - 174 - but I was going to get through it just fine. And then around mile 2 my calf was done. It started hurting and I knew it wasn't a good situation - that I shouldn't run through it because I'd make it worse and make my next two days miserable to walk on. I pushed myself to get to 3 miles - aerobically I was totally fine, but knew I shouldn't be running much more than that on my leg. So I stopped at 3 miles.

I basically decided that I won't be able to do the race. We have a month until the race and there is no way that I can keep running on this for the next month - this is different than my ankle pain and there is no way I can put as many miles in as I need to in the next month. And I don't believe that I can rest it enough to heal it and still maintain my fitness level and endurance for the race.

I think it is a muscle pull or strain and it happened while skiiing. I don't recall a specific injury, however, I know that at least on Thursday I was telling Cornbread that I wanted to go back because my calf hurt really bad. I felt this pain throughout the last couple of days skiing and have not given it a chance to heal at all.

So I'm going to go to Walgreens and get a wrap-around icepack and start icing it. There is really no way that I'm going to be able to rest it sufficiently... I mean I can stop running on it, but I still need to walk. So I'm going to have to figure out how to maintain my fitness level.

I'm also a bit upset because I just started sleeping better. I slept horribly in Colorado until the last couple of nights (I think the room was too hot) and I have not slept well at home because I didn't workout last week. The last few nights have finally been great, so I've got to figure something else out.

I'm going to do my circuits tomorrow and see how it goes. I really don't want to give up, but I don't want to make it worse either.

No comments: