Thursday, January 13, 2011

Thursday January 13, 2011

Workout: 6 miles total
Pace: 9:41 (average)
Weight: 128.4


Actual workout was:
2 miles at 10:00 

5min at 9:05 
5min at 10:00 
(repeat) 
5 min at 9:05 
1.25 miles at 9:30


I added the 1/4 mile to the end to make it an even 6 miles.


The run went well this morning.  Much better than my previous few runs and much better than anticipated.  I enjoyed myself and focused on that instead of being miserable.  My floating ankle bone started hurting me toward the end, though - I hope that is not a sign of things to come.


As I was running, I was thinking about what I actually want to do in terms of fitness, weight, body, etc.  I'm seriously considering not running in the 5/3 RBR this year.  I haven't decided, but I'm leaning toward not doing it.  Here's my deal:

I LOVE yoga.  I want to be better at yoga - like I wanted to be better at running 2 years ago.  I feel like I have lost a lot of my strength in the last year or so - since I began training for races and cutting out my weight training.  If I train for this race, I don't have time to do yoga, train, cross train & do strength training.  I simply can't fit it all in.  Yoga is 90 minutes 2x/week right now and I'm not giving that up.  Running is okay right now with 3 & 4 mile runs - I still have time to do abs after that, but in 2 weeks we move up to 5 & 6 mile weekly runs.  I just don't have the time to do that AND abs or any other strength training I want to do.  So I'm trying to decide what is most important to me - running this race and training for it OR running AND strength training.  Strength training will help my yoga, which will help my running...



I am not training for a time, I'm training to finish.  I've already proved to myself that I can finish... I know I haven't run a 15 mile race, but given how I felt after the Holland race, I know I could have completed another 2 miles.  I don't have any ideals of getting much faster - and trying to be faster only proves to be miserable for me... setting expectations, not meeting them, not being able to figure out the puzzle.  I MIGHT decide to run a marathon at some point, but I can't train for it until Georgia is in school all day - so I can't begin to train for it until fall of 2012.  By that time, if I've focused on yoga I should be a much better runner.


I don't want to give up running altogether - it is my cardio of choice - I'm just trying to figure out what is a realistic amount of running for me to do and if this race is more important than my other desires.  I'm going to try to find a different training plan and see if that seems more doable... still thinking about all of this and haven't made any decisions.

No comments: