Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Wednesday June 2, 2010

Workout: was supposed to be 2 mile warmup and weights
Weight: 127.0

The power went out at 1:30am last night and didn't come back on until around 9am. Did get to the gym because I figured their power was likely out, too. School is out, so I can't go in the afternoon, so I guess today is scrapped. Oh well. Maybe I can figure out how to do it in the basement later, but that sounds like a whole lot of no fun.

I would like to take this time to have a full blown complaint session about weight watchers and being short. I tried to do the points yesterday and by the afternoon I was so ticked that I was ready to quit. I'm going to see how it goes today and reconsider.

Anyway, here are my complaints...

* I am 5'1" and I weigh in the 120's. Per WW, to lose weight I need to stick to 18 points/day (+ 35 flex points/week + activity points). Okay, so lets say that I don't use my flex points because I like to not count points on the weekends. So I get 18 points/day + activity points. Yesterday I had 4 activity points, so a total of 22 points for the whole day. I ate well yesterday:
Breakfast: bowl of high fiber cereal + milk = 4pts
Lunch: egg muffin - 3pts, yogurt - 2pts, frozen veggies - 1 pt: 6pts total
snack: 1/2 of a large apple (could only eat half) - 1pt

So by dinner time I had 11 pts left. In reality - thats not a whole lot of points for a dinner. Considering that I've never, in the several times that I've done weight watchers, eaten my activity points and have always stuck to my 18pts/day, then I figured I had 7pts left for dinner, which is hardly anything.

Okay - so I can deal with that... I am most successful on WW when I stick to my 18pts/day, but I eat prepackaged frozen meals for dinner. Trying to make low point meals and figuring out the correct portion size has never worked well for me in the past.

Here is where I take issue with all of this: In the afternoon, I was hungry and wanted to have some fruit, but I didn't feel like I could use my points on fruit because then I wouldn't have enough for dinner. I don't think its right that I look at strawberries or an orange or an apple and think, "I can't have that".

* WW advises that a person should have 3 servings of dairy, 5-7 servings of fruit/veggies each day. I'm not sure its possible to get all of those servings in and stick to my 18 pts each day.

* Because I'm short, I'm screwed - I feel like my height limits me to like 500 calories/day. I know that is extreme, but I do feel like because I'm short I get so many fewer calories/day than average or taller people. 1200 calories/day is not a whole lot.

I'm just venting. I know all of this is not truth, but its frustrating for me. I feel like WW teaches me good eating, but at the same time I create bad habits, too. I don't think eating frozen meals is extremely healthy, but since they are preportioned and have the points figured out already, they are the easiest way for me to be successful. Somehow, I have never been able to do this while cooking real meals for my family - even meals that I make out of a WW cookbook.

So I'm not sure where to go from here. For one thing, I need to eat a lower point breakfast - I need to get back to my 2pt oatmeal, rather than 4 pt cereal. I also need to consider eating my activity points, I just don't like to do that because I know I don't count on the weekends. And, I need to get used to the fact that I'm going to be hungry for a couple of weeks.

I drank a whole gallon of water yesterday. Still retaining water - can feel it in my arms this morning. Bugly just broke my gallon water container, so I'll have to count glasses today instead.

I can do this until the 17th. I can. I can.

No comments: