Thursday, January 3, 2008

January 3, 2008

Workout: Back/Biceps
Lat pull down: 3x12 @ #8
Cybex row: 3x12 @ #5
Lying DB curls: 12, 11, 10 @ 14lbs
21's: 3 sets @ 18lbs

The workout took only 20-25 minutes - too short. I need to actually do abs or add an exercise to each muscle for this day. I will figure that out on Sunday or Monday when I come up with my workout plan.

One thing that I need to decide is if I'm going to continue to lift heavy to failure or if I want to switch it up to lifting lower weights with higher reps. I'm not sure what I think on that. I've been lifting to failure for so long that it really is kind of all I know and I'm not sure what kind of benefit I would receive from lower weight/higher reps. Would I be building musle or just maintaining? Given the fact that I want to lose weight, I should probably concentrate less on building muscle and more on maintaining what I have while trying to lose fat. Hmmm - that is the most thought I've put into that topic so far:)

I've continued to read the Feel Good Naked book. One of the recent chapters I read talks about eating slowly and savoring every bite. Putting your fork down between every bite, allowing your meals to linger for 30 minutes or so rather than shoveling your food in quickly. Not eating mindlessly - especially in front of the tv. I don't eat in front of the tv very often, however, I often read while I'm reading and that means that I'm not paying attention at all to the flavors and textures of the food I'm eating. I wish I had a better palate so I could really distinctly pick flavors out. I have been trying to pay a little more attention to that aspect of eating in the last couple of days and realize that I don't generally eat anything that has a complex mix of flavors or anything that I can really savor. I've also been paying attention to how and why I eat (lately as I've been undisciplined for the last couple of weeks). There really is no why - I eat because its there, I guess. I made the mistake of making cookies over the weekend and most of my daily diet has been shortbread and gingerbread this week. And to be honest, the cookies are not even to die for -they're just there. I think that is sad - for me. I want to enjoy my food and make the free stuff worth it - why eat a store bought chocolate chip cookie? They taste like garbage. No more for me. I'm going to really try to focus on this. While I simply cannot make delicious, flavorful meals 3 times every day, I can focus on what I am eating at the time, pay attention to flavors and textures, eat slowly and enjoy it rather than get it down quickly. And if we go out for dinner I can order something off of the menu that is going to provide a variety of flavors to savor and enjoy what I cannot make at home.