Monday, August 4, 2008

Goal: 115 by October 10

Workout: running
Weight: 129.4

I am severely dehydrated. I hardly drank any water while we were on vacation and didn't drink any yesterday either. I don't do it on purpose - while on vacation it simply isn't as available to drink as much as I would otherwise. Then by the time I hit Sunday, it doesn't sound good to me. So by Sunday night I felt really icky - bloated, big, fat. I can feel it. This morning I have already had 5 16oz glasses and I'm going to keep drinking them down.

I ran the two mornings that we were on vacation. The first day was good. The second day was horrible - I allowed myself to stop way to early and never got it back. I'm glad I went out, though - it always feels good to go and come back. It was really nice to run along the canal and see the boats and the early fishers.

This morning I set a goal for myself to run without stopping to the running path and up the first hill. I did it - I walked across 151st twice, but not long enough to interrupt my pace. After getting that far, though, I really sucked. It was really humid and hot and I just couldn't get it together longer than 1 song at a time. So I ran a song, walked a song most of the way home. I think the last stretch up the hill on Mallard to Meadowland I ran for 1 1/2 songs, but other than that, I sucked.

I've been thinking over the weekend that maybe I should focus more on my running and improving in that regard instead of focusing on my diet and my weight. Give myself some clear, concrete goals and try to reach and surpass them. I'm getting frustrated with my inability to lose these last 10-15 pounds. It is always the weekend that does it - I'm assuming. This weekend definitely did me in - it was hard to eat healthily while on vacation and then by the time I got home on Saturday I was so dehydrated and already feeling like I messed up beyond repair so it wasn't worth trying to get back on track yesterday. So instead I start today.

I'm just wondering if I really focus on becoming a better runner if the weight will eventually come off anyway - like if I focus on eating foods that are good fuel and won't bog me down the next day, focus on drinking a lot of water and not dehydrating myself, focus on being healthy and mostly on improving my running every time, then maybe it will just naturally happen - and maybe if I never lose these last pounds I will be fine - I'm running, I'm in shape, I feel good about myself even though I'm 10 pounds overweight. The thing that makes me feel icky about myself is how my clothes fit... so maybe I need to concentrate more on that and not the number. However, everytime I've tried to do that I don't succeed - the number is the concrete measure.